Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Standing out among the gifted



I’m a writer, an artist of some decent ability, a musician, somewhere near genius in respects of IQ and a pretty damned good cook.  I’ve always stood out from mere humans, by design.  I know no other way to be.  When I say mere humans, I mean, non-creatives.  Creatives, artists, those touched, and often raped, by the muse, are something more than human to my thinking.  In such a crowd I often fail to stand out as the measure of greatness is set so much higher.

I’m okay with that, from a personal stand point.  I don’t have to always shine. 

From a marketing standpoint, this is a bit perplexing.  Next to Bob the grocer, my talents are impressive.  Next to the greats in my various areas of creative talent, the bar is raised higher than I knew it could go.

Recognizing this could be a motivation killer.  I’ve let it happen before.  Guitar is a lover of 20 years but I cannot play lead like some who have only know her for months.  I’ve tried and tried and continually failed.  I can, however write expressive music that salves my soul and catches the ear of others. 

As a writer, I could allow myself such comparisons to halt my forward movement.  I choose, instead, to find inspiration in the wordsmithing of my betters, learn from their excellence and to grow so that I might rise above my own limitations. 

Just watched:

No comments:

Post a Comment