Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Self Doubt - Muse Repellant



Self Doubt - Muse Repellant

I’m so busy and always tired.  I know it’s mostly stress.  I work a fulltime job, like so many of us.  I raise three kids, mostly by myself.  I’m working on multiple projects and advance marketing and I really only get an hour, maybe two, a day to myself.  When I sit down and put on the headphones, sometimes there’s just no gas left in the tank or I have just enough fumes to stumble to the bed and start it all over again.

It’s these times, when I’m just too tired to write, the muse grows silent.  I feel her sadness from afar but it’s just not enough to guilt me into fulfilling our contract.  And when I’m alone, doubt creeps in.  How can I call myself a writer when I can’t even make myself sit down to pound out a 1000 words?  I’m no artist.  I have no ambition.  Winners never quit and it feels like quitting when I crawl off to sleep without having written a word.

I’ve been in a real funk lately.  I mocked the muse by attempted to describe her here in these pages.  Now my goddess is making me pay, I think. 

We creatives are tested over and over.  If I just wrote for my own pleasure there would be no pressure, but I don’t.  I want to do something with it.  I want to achieve something.  And so I created this blog, and my public persona, in order to announce to the universe that I will fucking do something with this cursed talent and I will find some measure of success, if only to rub the noses of everyone who said I couldn’t do it in the stank of accomplishment.  These public declarations are a way to keep me accountable to my destiny.

So how do you deal with self doubt?  Well there’s something I’ve found that works for me but it’s a gamble.  I read my older stuff.  Something I wrote and maybe didn’t finish usually.  I always seem to find something that actually surprises me.  I typically walk away feeling good about my writing. 

I hear a lyrical, tittering laugh.  She stands back watching me fondly.  She’s proud of me in those moments and, after I’ve closed the old file, I turn to see her smiling.  She beams, then waggles a finger at me.  The gesture says, “Silly child.  You shouldn’t have doubted either of us.” 

My muse embraces me then, her lips on mine, my heart falling into a symbiotic rhythm with hers.  All my doubt seems silly now.  This is what I’m meant for.  This is where I belong.

Listening to: The Dresden Dolls – Good Day Live


6 comments:

  1. I think we all go through self-doubt and life always get in the way of what we really want to do.
    I struggled through my bad times but things always got better and when I look back it's a teachable moment for me...good thing though, I got through it and you will too.
    Don't stop what your doing, all of your trials and tribulations will be rewarded and may your muse be with you. (and no I'm not channeling The Force)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your blog...good advice about looking at past projects♫ Sharing on a blog is also therapeutic♪

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have self doubt. I try to fight mine by getting feedback. Artists are riddled with doubt. I do not know why but I have seen so many artists have doubt. Sometimes it is crushing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Self-doubt is a curse to all writers - I definitely suffer from it a lot! Reading old work is a great way to overcome it, though. When I'm afraid that I've lost the ability to write, rereading my past work and remembering that I suffered from the same doubts then and managed to overcome it. Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we have all felt this at one time or another or have had this plague us for a spell. It's not easy but sometimes you do need a small break. Sometimes I'll bang out idea after idea and 5k at a time and then nothing for a month. Okay two months cause this actually happened over the summer. I was writing like I was breathing and then nothing. Reading old stuff helps get the ideas flowing but just know that you're not alone! Hope getting it out in a post helped and it sounds like you reconnected nicely with your muse. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take a rather opposite tactic, I try not to fight my self doubts but to embrace it. I am a clown an idiot a fool. Once I give up needing to win even needing to think that I could win, it's oddly freeing. It's not about winning any more not about achieving a goal, but , finding a new an interesting way to totally frack things up.

    ReplyDelete