Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Discovery writing is good

Yes well I couldn't say it any plainer.  Discovery writing is good!  There I said it with a flourish, well an exclamation point, anyway.  Don't judge me.

I've become such a plotter/outliner in my horror and sci-fi work that I forgot the joy of discovery writing.  It's like a new lover.  I know where I want to take her.  I know the thousands of things I want to do to her, but she has ideas of her own.  We abandon all logic and let the passion take us where it will.  That's discovery writing for me. 

Writing erotica has been a liberating experience, not just as a man but as an artist and I can't imagine a time when I won't want to do this. 

Outlining makes the most sense when I approach a novel or serial fiction, which is the non-erotic project that takes up a great deal of my time, and there is a discovery element there.  But, when I sit down to write, I either feel like I've already told the story, if only to myself, or I'm bored with those pesky in-between parts that are necessary to get from A to C. This is a problem I've diagnosed before in my tabletop roleplaying days.  As the Storyteller of the group, I learned to never create a story from any of my writing ideas, or I'd never get to them.

Of course, discovery writing has it's pitfalls, the biggest one being the need to do a great deal of editing when something in the story changes mid stream because it makes more sense.  It can be tedious tracking down every part of the book where changes need to be made.  Though, I guess this can happen no matter what your process is when that brain tidal wave hits unexpectedly.

In the end, we all have our creative process.  What is yours?  Would you ever consider stepping out of it to try something new?

Listening to: Versailles- Silent Knight


If you're not a fan of or familiar with the Japanese Visual Kei movement, this band is the place to start.  This is an instrumental but I defy you to find a Western metal band that could top Versailles technically. 4:14 is you're eargasmic moment.  Isn't Hazaki, the blonde guitar, just adorable in that Victorian gown?  I just love him.  Yes, him.  I'll let that sink in until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Since the hublot replica sale brand, in fact, do not forget women Tag heuer was a big year, who this year is that women will monitor the longines replica watches range. Also Tag heuer, rises above the range of women's watches in the past, consumers shouted cartier replica sale it has been added to the collection in 2010 rolex replica uk has been forced to close. Tag heuer Veloci-T is already added in remarks chronograph series of daring men stronger than the market, but added strap watch white, rose gold plated rolex replica he is the most popular female is moving, we do not see any commodity them. Also replica watches sale the new boat with T more stylish touch - the female version of the collection added touch, durability, view T- touch movement than before. Well-built, innovation, hublot replica uk are labels; careful rolex replica uk is replica watches uk human spirit.

    ReplyDelete