Total Pageviews

Monday, September 17, 2012

Self Publishing and You Part 2: Editing



#2 Produce a Flawless Product  I can't stress this one enough!  The greatest complaint I hear about self published authors is the quality of the editing.  Just because this work will not pass through the hands of an editor, that does not let us off the hook for proof reading.  
Just some tips on editing.  
  • If it's a short story, leave it for a week or two before editing.  When it's too fresh your mind fills in the blanks and corrects your mistakes because you remember what it should have said.   
  • If you have to reread something more than once to understand what you were trying to say, consider revising it.  Readers don’t want to get tripped up on your prose.  They want it to flow seamlessly so that they can forget that they're reading.  Keep in mind that anything that kicks the reader out of the flow of the story, pisses them off, if only subconsciously.  Take care of your readers and they'll take care of you by buying your next book.
  • If you can afford it, hire an editor.  There’s tons of them out there (not all good).  But enough research will lead you where you need to go.  
  • If you can’t find a decent editor find other writers.  While building your promotional network, try to rub elbows with other writers.  Most likely, you’ll find a couple that you really click with who may be willing to be a beta reader.  Tell these writers what you want them to look for.  If you’re smart, you’ll ask them to point out spelling and grammar, but anything that is unclear, unbelievable or somehow flawed.  If they’re really good, they will be able to help you with plotting and general storytelling.  If you’re story is broken you may need help to fix it.
  • If you can’t get this kind of help, because not every has access to a writer, I suggest trying to get five people to read your book and give feedback.  Why five? 
    • You need at least two who are capable of editing to some degree.  You know someone like this.  They may or may not be a writer but they innately seem to have spelling down to a science, and they understand grammar better than most.  I find those who tend to correct the spoken grammar of others, insufferable bastards but they are good for this. Yes, they actually have a good use!
    • The other three should be readers.  Real, die-hard readers of your genre, who can tell you what they think of the story.  For me, I have a cadre of sci-fi and fantasy geeks for my mainstream work and I'm developing contacts through my social network to read my erotica stuff.  Gotta keep em separated!  Geeks are brutal when it comes to their wheelhouse.  They flay bare the bones of some of the great stories and I want someone who's not afraid to tell me when I'm being stupid or subconsciously ripping something off (it happens).
  •  Receive edits with a thankful frame of mind.  No matter what, every red mark you see,  every "I just didn't get it" you hear, every less then positive bit of body language you read, these people are helping you refine your product.  BUT, don't just say okay, and leave it at that.  Talk to them about why they didn't like this or felt that way about that.  Ask them how you could have done it better.  Some of it will be completely off base and you'll know you're right.  Stick to your guns on things that you feel passionately about but still be positive in your reception.
  • Grow a thicker skin.  It's not personal.  It's business.  Accept the criticism and ignore the haters.  Per Tom of Toonami.  Haters are the ones that heap negativity on whatever you do.  Just ignore them because they just want to drag you down.  What hurts most is that these can often be the people closest to you.  
On a personal note, I hate writing about editing because it makes me hypersensitive to the possibility of my own typos.  I’m sure they are here and I’m sure you found them!
Next time Promotion!
Listening to The Offspring-Come Out and Play (Keep em Separated!)


8 comments:

  1. Another excellent post Castor. Very and informative and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to the editing stage. So far, need to finish writing my first draft. You said it's good to wait a week before editing a short story. How long should you wait before delving into editing a novel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its going to be to each person's style but it took a lot more time to write a novel than a short story so the beginning of that novel will not be so fresh in your mind. I personally try to walk away from it for a bit. I take a break as a reward for finishing the first draft. I also like to be working on editing something while working on something new so I may start my next project before editing the last. That can be hard sometimes though because an editors frame of mind may not be conducive to creativity. You'll find your process. Thanks for commenting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent advice!! I would also advise reading sections aloud to yourself when editing. You can pick up a lot that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Susan and that is heart advice a well. Another thing that helps a lot of people is to print it out. Get away from the computer altogether. Michael Stackpole sits in a different room, drinks tea instead of coffee just to change from writer mode to editor mode. Find what works fit you.

    Thanks for commenting Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice. Replying from my phone. Remember, post about editing lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed this post before I published. So bad. To be fair though, I was just about to chicken out, so I needed to get it out quick lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just remember, what you have in "print" today can determine what is purchased tomorrow. Revise and re-release if you're concerned. We are our worst critics though and should be, which means your work probably isn't as troubled as you let on.

    ReplyDelete