Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Self Publishing and You- Part 1

So, before I get too deep in my own poo here, know that I'm neither published nor self published.  I'm a writer with multiple irons in the fire who has been researching the publishing industry for my own business plan.  While sharing what I've found here, I've caught the attention of some other writers.  Whatever I present here is just meant to chronicle my own story but I hope to help others in their own journeys.
I intend to break this up into a few posts because there’s a ton to cover.  This isn’t an all inclusive list either.  
That being said, on with the show. 

What do you need to do before self publishing?  Below is a list of what are some of the most important things I’ve found.  I’ll cover each in different posts, most likely.


1.      Research
2.      Produce a Flawless Product
3.      Promote
4.      Great Cover
5.      Have a Catalog of Titles
6.      Reviews
#1 Research  I suggest you seek the ins and outs of both legacy and indie publishing for yourself.  You need to know what legacy publishers may still offer.  Know what it is that they look for in your genre because they have pretty much trained the reading public as to what should be found in a good book and, writing with some of these guidelines in mind will help you to produce a product that any writer, indie or traditionally published, can respect.

Another good thing to look at is the New York Times Best Seller list.  This now includes ebooks and, even though it says it does not include self published writers in it’s listing.  I’ve found several romance and erotica indie authors in the top 30 in recent months. 

Also, as you build your promotional network, follow closely the successes and failures of your fellow/fella indie writers who are further along their publishing path then you are.  The industry changes constantly so you may see a trend or paradigm shift that will greatly affect your future plans.

Read, read, read, read.  This should be something you enjoy.  You’re a writer for fuck sake.  It’s also research.  You’ll find a lot of dos and don’ts from your contemporaries.  Learn from their failings and successes.  It’s also good to know what stories have been told because it is shocking to find out how often writers duplicate each other without ever having known the one another nor that their work existed.  I’ve had several story ideas make it to Hollywood.  I should be rich but they made it there before I was even finished writing them or, sometimes, before I ever started.  John Carpenters “Vampires” mirrored so many aspects of a story I was outlining at the time.  And my protagonist’s last name was Crow.  If you’ve seen it, you might remember Jack Crow.  I was pissed!  This happens.  Just be aware of what’s going on in your genre.

Tune in next time for #2 Producing a Flawless product. Editing is the stigma attached to self publishing.

Listening to: The Cranberries- Linger


4 comments:

  1. "because it is shocking to find out how often writers duplicate each other without ever having known the one another nor that their work existed."

    Can you imagine my surprise when I found a book that was similar to mine and the first thing that went through my head was "This bitch somehow got her hands on my book!"

    Of course, I hadn't finished half of it and never emailed it anywhere but it was a shock none the less to realize that a lot of my thoughts and actions are not unique.

    Thanks so much for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome and it's like a slap in the face. You start to question your own sense of originality, when, in fact, it's just a stupid coincidence. Who knows, maybe you both tapped into some cosmic string of consciousness for a moment. Who knows. It's better to find out before it goes to print or whatever the digital version of that is.

    Thanks for reading and even more for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My problem is I don't really like to read a lot of erotic romances or erotica. I mean I have read some, but after reading Anne Rice's Beauty nearly 15 years ago, nothing quite pushed the limits after that. Not that I need my limits pushed. I read SciFi and Fantasy. I love the Classics. I love smart dialogue above the physical. Honestly, if it weren't for my husband pushing me to do it, I'd have probably kept it between us. I'm not quite as confident as I should be, but I'm working on it.

    I'm in the middle of remedying that. I think I've read more erotica and a few erotic romance novels these last few weeks than I have for years.

    Ooh, and I love Linger. That song was probably the theme to an unhealthy relationship I had my Sophomore-Junior year in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problems there. Read what you like. I take spells where different genres capture my attention.

    ReplyDelete